I have tried everything, and I mean EVERYTHING there is to try to make my skin clear. I used to suffer so badly with acne and it made me self-conscious and pretty unhappy. I know that there are a lot of people going through the same situation. I have tried so many different face washes, creams and techniques, I don’t think I could find anything I haven’t tried before at some point. However, after all this experimenting with different lotions and potions, I have got my skin to the point where I am really happy with how I look. So I’ve made a list of tips and tricks I stick by to keep this up!
- DRINK LOTS OF WATER. I can’t express how important this is if you want a clearer complexion. I used to be so bad at drinking enough water and often just forgot to drink it because I’ve never liked the taste. I now have a litre bottle of water that I refill and try to get through 2 each day. This works really well because you can see your goal in front of you and how well you’ve done so far. I promise that it has really helped me.
- Try eating more fruits containing antioxidants. Antioxidants encourage skin cell growth and repair and can really help toward clearer skin. Examples include blueberries, kiwis and strawberries.
- Always take your makeup off before bed. Makeup can clog your pores and can attract acne-causing bacteria. The product I have been using to remove my makeup is the Simple Micellar Cleansing Water, which I put on a cotton pad and gently rub all over my face. This is definitely the best cleanser I have found and always re-purchase it. I recommend cleansing your face once in the morning and once before bed if possible. Even better, try not to wear makeup at all, or at least give your skin some makeup free days every now and again.
- Another product I like to use after I have cleaned my skin is rose water. This is great because it has anti-inflammatory qualities and reduces redness and irritation in the skin. I honestly love rose water and my go-to at the moment is the Botanics Rosewater Toning Spritz from Boots. It’s 100% organic and amazing; I would definitely give it a try! I spray it all over my face and my skin is fresh and glowing!
- I also use my Elemis SOS Emergency Cream, which I have talked about in my previous post. This really made a huge difference to my skin and helped massively to clear breakouts. I absolutely love this cream and continue to wear it to hydrate my skin. It helps reduce redness and irritation in the skin and with continued use, has reduced my acne greatly.
- Wash your makeup brushes at least once a week. Makeup and bacteria can build up on the brushes and can lead to breakouts.
- Try not to touch your face if possible. Bacteria from your hands can transfer to your face and cause breakouts. That means no resting your head on your hands if you’re bored! If you notice more breakouts around your chin, this may be why.
- Wash your bed sheets and pillowcases at least once a week. Bacteria can build up on the pillowcase as well as oils from your hair and they may transfer to your face while you are lying down.
- Make time to go outside and exercise. Vitamin D from sunlight is so good for your skin and really helps it. I always find my skin is clearer during the summer and even more so when I’m on holiday in a hot country. Get as much fresh air and sunshine as you can!
- Lastly, try to wear makeup that is oil-free. Oily products often clog your pores and cause breakouts. I am currently loving the Too Faced – Born This Way I particularly like this as it contains coconut oil, which is great for the skin. Always have a look at the labels to check the ingredients and it will often say if it is oil free!
Let me know if you have any more tips I should know about and if any of these have worked for you!
Lots of love,